novel editing and manuscript critique
Give yourself the best possible chance for success and publication. I will provide in-depth, honest and compassionate guidance for your fiction project, with a practical, get-down-to-business bent. I’ll work with you to inspire a stronger manuscript, a more confident writer, and clearly-defined next steps for your revision. Though I am primarily a middle grade editor and a young adult editor, I am well-versed in novel editing for all categories and genres.
These benefits are included with all of my novel editorial services, no matter how many pages we work on together:
- Thorough notes. You will get detailed notes on all the major components of your novel: character, tension, stakes, dramatic arc, plot, voice, imagery, setting. A macro, bird’s eye approach to how your story works as a book.
- Line editing. A micro approach with careful, page-by-page notes in your manuscript on sentences, structure, syntax, word choice, as well as any copyedits to address clarity, typos and other common issues. You will see notes on every page of your manuscript… that means an extremely close read and hours of my undivided attention. There are even some margin notes included with the Reader Report.
- Market analysis. I’ll analyze your project’s potential success in the market and help you avoid any pitfalls. I might also suggest comparative titles for you to read or other books in the same vein that will help you continue your education.
- Next steps. I will brainstorm next steps for you, like an editor or agent would, to help guide you in your revision. Sometimes the task of revising a novel seems daunting. Here I will provide a written map for how best to proceed after you receive your feedback.
- A Query Letter and Synopsis Consultation. As an added bonus, feedback on your query letter and synopsis (if you have one, up to four double-spaced pages) is, of course, included with every edit. A synopsis usually only applies to novels rather than picture books, but a query is necessary for all manuscripts.
Haven’t you always wanted in-depth feedback from a publishing gatekeeper? Make this the manuscript that changes everything. I offer the following scope of editorial services, with an editorial package for every skill level and budget.
100 Page Edit / $1,749
With a bigger page sample, I can really dig into the important elements of your work: story, plot, tension, stakes, structure, and character. These higher-order concerns are what absolutely make or break a story once an agent or editor gets past those crucial introductory pages. Not only will you get editing for your beginning, but you’ll benefit from my insights as you launch your story and gain momentum. You’ll also learn whether or not you’re falling into any common “Muddy Middle” traps that wreak havoc on novels as they develop. Notes for this sample length are much more thorough than notes on the ten-page sample, as I can really see your craft elements at work over time. After this edit, you will get even more ideas about revising so that the rest of your project can shine.
Full Manuscript Edit / $3,000 for 50,000 words
This is the most comprehensive, time-consuming, blood-sweat-and-tears service that I offer. You will get notes from the first page of your manuscript to the last. You will also be trained, in the process, to self-edit and revise. As a result, you can really get the maximum benefit of my feedback and use my advice on plot, structure, tension, voice, and character for the rest of your writing life. Since I can see your whole story, your character arcs, your tension architecture, and your full intention with the piece, I’ll be able to give the most definitive and revelatory feedback I can offer. Only the most serious and dedicated writers need apply. My availability for this type of edit is extremely limited.
Reader Report / $1,500 for 50,000 words
My newest service, and an instant hit. This option combines all the aspects of my normal editorial services, but condenses the feedback into a 10-12-page document that summarizes my main findings. To do this, I omit the comprehensive line editing on the manuscript itself, and instead cite examples from your work to create teaching points on character, voice, plot, and other major craft considerations. You benefit from me reading your entire manuscript and seeing the full scope of your story, but because I can work more quickly than if I was making notes on every single page, your investment is cut in half. I can also accommodate your project more quickly and turn it around without delay. This service is perfect for writers who are confident in their novels, who’ve maybe submitted them already, but who suspect that a novel-wide issue such as the plot, characterization, or writing quality is hindering their progress. With knowledge of your entire story, I will be able to isolate your manuscript’s particular drawbacks and condense the information into a report that you can read over and over as you revise. I’ll focus on the big issues, give you your next steps for revision, and include a Query and Synopsis Consultation.